Friday, August 1, 2008

A little experiment...

When I was a little kid, as far back as I can remember, I wanted to be an artist. Even before I understood what that meant, that's what I wanted to be when I grew up.

After art school, however, earning money for rent and food became a priority, so I got into graphic design -- lots of work, decent money, and the chance to sneak in some "real" art every now and then.

So I've been freelancing as a graphic designer and illustrator exclusively since 2000... before that, I had a couple staff positions, but found that I really liked the variety and freedom of freelancing... the irregular paychecks, lack of benefits and paid vacation days, not so much.

Lately, since the end of '06, actually, I've been only able to work from home. That limits what I can do, of course, since so many companies want designers on-site. And with the economy, work has slowed waaaaay down, and even my stable clients are giving me fewer projects.

So I decided to try my hand at making digital scrapbooking kits. I love drawing and designing patterns, and I know Photoshop and Illustrator well enough to use them in my sleep (and in fact I think I have!), so why not?

I'm excited to say I have finished my very first scrapbooking kit, and it's now available on www.scraphead.com. Yay!

It's all based on one little doodle of a flower, done in ballpoint pen in a notebook... Amazing what software can do!

1 comment:

Allison said...

Hey this is pretty cool! I checked out the scraphed site snd saw the Baby kit.. I think I might have to make something for my sister and my niece.... oooh crafty! thanks!