Friday, May 15, 2009

May 9

The town in New York state that I'm originally from was founded in the very early 19th century, and it still has many homes in use today that were built prior to the 20th century. Many have original elements intact: original windows, a hitching post out front, initials of the first owners carved into a pane of glass circa 1830.

Here's one example of one of those houses; this one was probably built around the mid 1800s judging by the style. It stands next to a road that used to be a heavily traveled Native American trail, or so the story goes.

I seem to be struggling quite a bit lately to produce a decent sketch.They seem to be getting worse rather than better as my Every Day in May challenge continues... I don't know if it's the fault of working from very blurry Google street view images, or if it's my pen, or the paint, or the artist herself (and her ever-present fatigue).

No comments: