Saturday, May 2, 2009

May 1


I definitely recommend Derwent sketchbooks for watercolor and/or watercolor pencils and pen. They are fantastic: the paper is a bit more thin and smooth than I'm used to, but takes washes quite well, and holds up to minimal scrubbing.

Initially I was skeptical, but I have to say, this has been my favorite sketchbook for this medium of all the different brands I've tried over the years. In fact it's such a nice surface, it's actually fueling my ambition and making me want to fill it with landscapey things of all sorts.

I discovered that the town I grew up in, in western New York state, has recently had many of its roads and streets added to Google's street view. I love seeing all the places I used to know so well -- how many of them changed and how many look exactly the same.

This is the view from right in front of my old house.

It's Faber Castell Pitt pen (S), watercolors (various brands), on Derwent sketchbook. 6" x 4".

2 comments:

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

gorgeous.lovely work.

Shirley said...

I just looked at May 1-8 and love your style - beautiful loose, colorful paintings! So glad you're doing ED in M - we get to look at more of your work...